October 30, 2010

The Substitute Teacher



You got to love it, To be it
You got to be flexible to do it
As you walk through the big school doors
Of each and every school building
Deep breathes help to make yourself feel as ease
For you don't know what is in store for you
Confidence and patience are the keys to success
For this will be your moment to shine
At the end of the day,when the lights go out
Your energy can recharge for when another
Moment comes, you will be ready to shine.

12 comments:

Gail said...

HI

I so understand and truly appreciate the plight-challenge-and opportunity of the substitute teacher. When I went back to college, I substitute taught as a means to supplement my income. Once I did a three week stay with first graders and we all fell in love. :-)

Love to you
Gail
peace....

Paul Swendson said...

When I substitute taught, I mostly just carried out lesson plans of the regular teacher, which mostly consisted of generic assignments to keep them busy. I also found that the behavior of the students toward me was based on the tone set by the regular teacher. So my day was largely determined by circumstances out of my control. Honestly, I do not miss those days.

J E Fritz said...

I bet you need a lot of energy. It must be hard to go into a different class almost every day, not knowing what to expect from the children or the regular teacher. But no matter what, you have to do a good job : )

And did you ever get my message or did gmail eat it? Blogger--bah!

The lady in Red said...

Nice Post, being a teacher is a challenger, being a substitute teacher is much more challenging.
I loved the phrase: "Confidence and patience are the keys to success". That is true.

Thanks for sharing the post to us!
Best wishes,
RĂ´

Anne said...

Hi Gail,
Thanks for your understanding.
Smiles to you.

Anne said...

Hi Paul,
When I substitute, the regular teachers always leave their own lesson plans for the day. I know most of the teachers that I sub for, so they can trust that I will do a good job. I can also tell, if the teacher has the respect and has control over the class based upon how I am received. If the school has a school wide discipline procedure in place, that helps alot. There are always challenges to met and a sub still has to let the class know who is in charge. I have learned little tricks and ways of saying things to get the kids to listen. Believe it or not, I really do enjoy subbing.

Robyn Campbell said...

I think substituting is the HARDEST job on earth. You don't get to know the kids unless you're with them for weeks on end.

I love this last line. Nice. :)

Anne said...

JEFritz,
Subbing can be exhausting, but I like it. Did you get my e-mail address?

Anne said...

Robyn,
Yes, subbing is hard. Some of the schools that I sub in, I don't know the kids. One school, I sub in mostly. I know most of the kids because I subbed there last year. It is a great feeling when they address me when they see me. I feel so much apart of the school.

Claudia said...

I have carried out lesson plans and when my specific knowledge was known was often asked to veer away into the world of creating plays... I had a grand run subbing! And some great stories... confidence, enthusiasm and knowledge can go a long way.

Anne said...

Hi Claudia,
Yes, confidence and enthusiasm or esential in the art of teaching. It is very much like be an actor or actress in a play. In subbing, you can be a performer for a day.
Love it!

yonca said...

So true! 'You got to love it'..It's not an easy job.Especially being a substitute teacher. I'm sure you're a great teacher, Choice.

Practice

Practice, Practice Strum, Strum, Strum Hear the notes and the strings Singing along makes it fun The Ukulele