
VKT, at Chronicles of A Veteran Kindergarten Teacher
Writes about her experiences as a Kindergarten Teacher
Classroom Management is such an important part of teaching and
She suggested that I tell of my classroom management techniques.
So VKT, here we go. My first year of teaching, I taught at a charter
school which continues to have a very special place in my heart. (That
is my number 1, subbing place, I still know teachers that are still
there,although the administration has changed) I was so excited that year,
for my dream had come true, A teacher I had become. I thought I was so well
prepared, but little did I know that I lacked the skill of classroom order
and knowing how to manage positive classroom management.
I knew I needed HELP! So, I went to the aid of my co-worker, but she
didn't give me any positive feedback. I didn't know where to turn. But,
upon knowing that I was going to get a second change to be the best
teacher, I knew I could be. That summer, I took a classroom management class.
I learned 4 simple things.
1. The first 5 minutes of the very first day will determine your whole year.
2. Raising your hand and waiting for quiet works like a charm.
3. Have the children practice what is expected when the quiet sign goes up.
4. Practice the rules over and over until the children know the procedures.
I will never forget that first year of teaching. Since I knew how hard
it was for me that first year, I am willing to share what I learned and
what worked for me to all first year teachers.
14 comments:
Lovely of you to share, my absolute favourite teacher smiled all the time, to this day, I love her dearly :)
Thanks for sharing what you learned Anne.
I think you are a awesome teacher.
My mama was my 2nd grade teacher and the best teacher I ever had!!!
Lots of teachers in my family, including me.
I loved to teach!!!
Margie :)
Oh my Anne I can just imagine your first year as one day I found myself just having to watch a class for 20 minutes as the teacher was ill, so while the principal was busy finding a new teacher the kids in that class went wild....I had no control whatsoever, but then I am not a teacher and was just at the wrong place the wrong time that day. I have admired teachers ever since.
........:-) Hugs
No wonder you are so good at teaching Anne. You learned a lot that first year! I am glad you decided to post your discipline techniques! Thanks for sharing.
It was so sweet of you to mention my blog today Anne! Thank you so much! I hope you have a blessed evening.
Teachers do become favorite memories sometimes. I'm sure there are many kids that will remember you that way, Anne!
Hi Lorraine,
Interesting how we remember certain teachers and it only takes a smile.
Smiles to you.
Margie,
Thanks! Hope you are having a great time in Maob.
Take care.
Bernie,
As with anything in life we learn and it takes practice to get it right. I think you would have been a wonderful teacher.
Take care.
VKT,
Thank you so much for the lovely compliment. I sure did learn alot that first year. You have inspired me to maybe change geers and blog about teaching. Now that is a thought.
VKT,
You are welcome. You inspired me to talk about my discipline techniques. I think you are an awesome teacher! I would love to see you at work!
Wanda,
Thank you. What a nice thing to be a favorite memory to a child. I hope I am. I know I am.
I do appreciate your visits.
Take care.
It sounds like your classroom management workshop was worthwhile. They offered once at my school once, but it didn't provide many useful tips.
I just subbed in a class where the other teacher would go on with the lesson even when only one or two kindergartners were paying attention and not acting up. If we can't run our classes, the kids aren't learning.
Sometimes easier said than done.
Theresa,
Thanks for stopping by.
Take care.
Post a Comment